MSc. Organic chemistry/General chemistry with 2-3 years experience
- Synthesize known compounds efficiently using literature or in-house notebook procedures.
- Synthesize new compounds by making appropriate modifications of known methods or modification of reaction conditions under minimal supervision (design of new or alternate reaction sequences is not a normal expectation, but will enhance the performance evaluation of the scientist). The range of reaction types handled capably by the scientist will be significant.
- Purify synthesized chemicals to an appropriate degree. The scientist will be able to use the full range of chromatographic, crystallization and distillation techniques.
- Analyze and identify compounds using a good range of modern separation and spectroscopic techniques. This will include interpretation of TLC, HPLC, and NMR spectra of moderate complexity.
- Conduct literature searches for specific target compounds, structures related to the target compound, or to determine specific conditions for compounds and reactions.
- Organize work time so that several reactions are run concurrently. Use time efficiently to produce target compounds and perform other tasks.
- Recommend and implement methods to increase the quality of products and/or services.
- Find new and better ways of performing job by challenging established procedures.
- Keep accurate, legible and complete records of all experiments and observations.
- Submit acceptable written periodic reports. Prepare summaries of experimental findings reliably and independently.
- Discuss routinely with supervisor the status of assigned programs and potential problems. The latter is especially important in cases where the scientist may be unfamiliar with the reagents or conditions to be employed.
- Communicate orally and in writing unexpected occurrences that could adversely affect established timelines
- Manage workload and time to enable the incumbent to perform multiple projects effectively, and ensure all necessary paperwork is completed on a timely basis.
- Follow escalation protocol and demonstrate ownership of assigned work.
- Display the ability to assimilate previously gained knowledge and experience and apply those concepts, techniques, etc. to new and related project areas.
- Conduct laboratory operations in a safe manner. Maintain familiarity with the Chemical Hygiene Plan. Exhibit safety awareness and safe work practices.
- Follow responsible actions regarding chemical disposal. Maintain compliance with all regulations at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Volunteer to assist with tasks not directly related to specific projects.
- Practice preventive maintenance on laboratory equipment and replenish laboratory supplies as stock depletes to prevent laboratory “down-time”.
- Participate in self-development activities and training of others.
- Perform other related duties as may be reasonably assigned in the course of business.
Candidates with higher experience levels can be considered for Senior Research Associate Position. Send CV with reference “Research Associate” to firstname.lastname@example.org